CHARLOTTE, N.C., Nov. 3, 2015 – Terrorism is winning. Why? Because terrorism is evolving while the West continues to talk, speculate and search for answers.
In the case of San Bernardino, as with other acts of terror, we keep treating the symptoms rather than trying to halt the disease.
Former mayor of New York, Rudy Giuliani said there is no doubt the California attack was an act of terror. He also said that we must find the motive(s). Giuliani is correct with his first analysis, but wrong about the second.
We already have the motive. We already know what it is. We just will not admit it. That much filters down from the very top in the person of Barack Obama. If the president of the United States does not accept the root cause of Islamic jihad, then it is understandable that large numbers of Americans will also look the other way and refuse to admit what is staring them in the face.
Global terrorism is evolving. It is adapting to Western ignorance of their goals by understanding us better than we understand ourselves.
On Sept. 11, 2001, Osama bin Laden sent a team of Saudi terrorists on a mission that succeeded far beyond his wildest expectations. It happened in New York City and in Washington, two symbols of American strength. As such, international awareness of Islamic jihad was aroused within hours on a scale never before witnessed, even if we did not know what it was at the time.
Fast forward to Paris a few weeks ago. Once again a major international city felt the brunt of Islamist ideology, only this time, instead of 3,000 people dying in collapsing buildings there were about 150 casualties. Different approach, lower numbers, same reaction.
In a typical Western-style approach, security was at its peak during the Thanksgiving holiday. If we sensed it, then surely terrorists planning an attack were also aware of the increased scrutiny.
Timing is everything and San Bernardino was the perfect storm.
1. It took place in a smaller city: The message, terror can occur anywhere at any time. It can be in New York or Boston or anywhere else in mainstream America.
2. The president was out of the country: When better to attack than during a time when Barack Obama is away? Especially when he is at a conference with more than 100 world leaders are dining on fois gras and drinking champagne while telling us the greatest threat to the world is climate change.
3. Create a major embarrassment for the West: Attacking a soft target when the president is gone demonstrates how weak the United States has become under his leadership. While the media treats each act of terror as a separate event rather than attempting to solve the greater problem, the terrorists are planning their next move.
4. No cries of “Allahu Akbar”: There has been no evidence that the perpetrators in San Bernardino shouted the traditional Islamic phrase “Allahu Akbar” during their mission. They added a new wrinkle to the investigation by NOT shouting those now all-too-familiar words. In essence, they added a new element of confusion to the mix.
The point is, none of the traditional questions of “who,” “what,” “when,” “where,” “why” and “how” really matter. Terrorist attacks can be carried out by two or three people or several. It doesn’t matter whether the attackers are homegrown or outsiders because the result is the same. Terror is self-explanatory. It is the act, and art, of terrorizing, and Islamists are experts at taking advantage of the West when it is looking the other way.
The motivation of terror is pure and simple. It is not complicated. The idea is to catch people off-guard and to frighten the bejeebers out of them. Terrorists need no more motivation than that to expand their beliefs.
The tentacles of Islamic terrorism are everywhere, and San Bernardino has proved it.
Do not be surprised to one day see a terror strategy where instead of multiple attacks in one city on one day, there is an event on the West coast one day, on the East coast the next, in the Midwest the day after and another in the South following that. Just how would the media cover it? While they report on one attack, another takes place, and then another and then one more.
Barack Obama is on a fool’s errand in Paris and the jihadists know it all too well.
The American giant still slumbers largely because there is a dwarf in the White House. Every now and then we open our eyes for a while before we roll over and go back to bed. If that strategy continues and if we will not recognize Islamic terror for what it really is, then get ready for many more innocent people to die.
Contact Bob at Google+
About the Author: Bob Taylor is a veteran writer who has traveled throughout the world. Taylor was an award-winning television producer/reporter/anchor before focusing on writing about international events, people and cultures around the globe.
He is founder of The Magellan Travel Club (www.MagellanTravelClub.com)
His goal is to visit 100 countries or more during his lifetime.
Read more of Travels with Peabod and Bob Taylor at Communities Digital News
Follow Bob on Twitter @MrPeabodClick here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 Communities Digital News
• The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the editors or management of Communities Digital News.
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities Digital News, LLC. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.
Correspondingly, Communities Digital News, LLC uses its best efforts to operate in accordance with the Fair Use Doctrine under US Copyright Law and always tries to provide proper attribution. If you have reason to believe that any written material or image has been innocently infringed, please bring it to the immediate attention of CDN via the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Contact page so that it can be resolved expeditiously.