By Carla Ledbetter, specifically for Donne Tempo. ALEXANDRIA, La, December 9, 2010. The Make-A-Wish Foundation grants a child’s wish every 40 minutes. David Williams, President of Make A Wish Foundation: “Since 1980, the Make-A-Wish Foundation® has given hope, strength and joy to children with life-threatening medical conditions…We’ve evolved into an organization that grants a child’s wish in the U.S. every 40 minutes.”
Founded in 1980, the Make-A-Wish Foundation® enriches the lives of countless children with life-threatening medical conditions through its wish-granting work, yet still maintains the grassroots fulfillment of its mission through the work of some 25,000 volunteers. Volunteers contribute in a variety of ways: some become wish granters, others help raise funds, and many work on special events, and others assist the foundation in a myriad of ways.
How does the Make-A-Wish Foundation work?
There are four steps to granting a wish:
- The first step is referral through medical professionals, parents and children themselves.
- The second step is the determination of medical eligibility. Children must have a diagnosis of a life-threatening medical condition that places the child’s life in jeopardy.
- The third step is determining the child’s true wish via the help of passionate volunteers who work with the child to determine the experience that will delight and inspire them.
- The last step, but most certainly not the least, is creating joy. Granting a child’s wish not only helps the sick child, it also helps the family and even the surrounding community.
How can you help? It’s easier than you think. One way, which is rather interesting, is to donate your airline miles. The following airlines partner with the foundation, and the embedded links will take you to their respective information page:
In addition, Make-A-Wish chapters can utilize airline vouchers and/or tickets that are transferrable, but you need to first check with the airline ticket office or a local Make-A-Wish chapter in your area.
Carla’s latest suspense novel, Artful Misdirection, is currently available in Kindle format on Amazon.com! A native of Louisiana, she lives in Alexandria, LA, is also a contributing writer for Out and About Louisiana. Follow Carla on Twitter, Facebook, Blogspot and LinkedIn.
Copyright 2011 Communities Digital News
• The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the editors or management of Communities Digital News.
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities Digital News, LLC. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.
Correspondingly, Communities Digital News, LLC uses its best efforts to operate in accordance with the Fair Use Doctrine under US Copyright Law and always tries to provide proper attribution. If you have reason to believe that any written material or image has been innocently infringed, please bring it to the immediate attention of CDN via the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Contact page so that it can be resolved expeditiously.