BUFFALO, NY — On this week’s 4-minute Friday, We look at how automotive trends come and go. Some we love and others we can definitely do without. Technology is advancing at a pace that can be hard to keep up with. Tons of safety features, cool technology, brilliant car designs, making driving easier, more comfortable and amazing audio systems can be great but others have just got to go. I’ll be curious to get your feedback on these.
Trends that need to go:
1. Fake hood vents – they look cool but are absolutely useless, it’s completely unnecessary and a bit tacky.
2. Joystick shifters – some of these new shifters are supposed to make things easier but they do not, customers want buttons or the standard PRNDL. Please no more shift on the columns, just keep it simple.
3. Fake Head-Up Display – PLEASE stop with the afterthought of a piece of plastic for a head-up display – just don’t have one. Do it right or not at all. And is it HEADS UP or HEAD-UP??
4. No- Touch Screen Interface – in today’s tablet and phone world, using a diet or joystick and no touch screen is a frustration to most people. Let’s make it intuitive so drivers can use the features.
5. Auto / Start-Stop systems – the first thing I do when we test drive cars is shut the damn button off. Some vehicles don’t have the ability to shut it off. This is a horrible feature that is all about fuel economy.
6. Too much grills – some manufacturers have gone crazy with the biggest grills and largest logos – Okay, I get it – I see your brand and its in your face.
7. No grills – okay EVs don’t need a front grill, but some look like Harry Potters Dementors.
8. Fake exhaust tips – seriously who are you impressing – make it real or don’t waste the money.
As technology evolves let’s make sure to give manufacturers feedback, get rid of the dumb features and lets us drive and NOT be driven! Who likes the joy of driving? Raise your hand? That’s a wrap for this week’s 4-minute Friday.
Be sure to catch all of Lauren’s content on her YouTube Channel!