WASHINGTON, November 23, 2014 – Thanksgiving can be a challenge for those wanting to keep with tradition and serve healthy foods. The classic dessert of Pumpkin Pie is challenging to make without eggs to hold the custard type filling together.
Here is an egg free pumpkin pie recipe that has a great consistency and is just like mom used to make.
1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup vegetable shortening
4 tablespoons cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 (16-ounce) can pumpkin (2 cups)
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Set aside a 9-inch pie plate.
- To prepare piecrust: In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and shortening; with a pastry blender, cut in until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add water a little at a time and, with a fork, stir gently. When mixture is moist, form into a ball and with a rolling pin dusted with flour, on a lightly floured surface roll out from center until it is 1/8 inch thick.
- Press into pie plate; trim edges ½ inch beyond rim.
- With your thumb and index fingers pinch around dish to make scallops. Set pie shell aside.
- To Prepare Filling: In a large bowl, combine vanilla, brown sugar, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin and condensed milk. With a wooden spoon, stir until completely mixed. Pour into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean
- Cool on wire rack and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
Makes 1 9-inch pie
Credit: Rosemarie EmroClick here for reuse options!
Copyright 2014 Communities Digital News
• The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the editors or management of Communities Digital News.
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities Digital News, LLC. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.
Correspondingly, Communities Digital News, LLC uses its best efforts to operate in accordance with the Fair Use Doctrine under US Copyright Law and always tries to provide proper attribution. If you have reason to believe that any written material or image has been innocently infringed, please bring it to the immediate attention of CDN via the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Contact page so that it can be resolved expeditiously.