Communities Digital News journalists and contributors are on the cusp of something new and unique. A publication created by a group of writers and editors, owned by partner-writers and editors.
Though we are fresh to this page, Communities Digital News history goes back to 2010, when we launched under the banner of a major Washington, DC newspaper. Since re-launching under our own banner in March of 2014, we have reached over 1.2 million page views per month and we continue to enjoy strong, controlled growth.
CommDigiNews editors review work not seeking ideology but fresh stories that are clear, concise, and accurate.
We accept articles covering broad interests – politics to business, travel to entertainment, sports, and lifestyle. Submission is simple – we need a short biography, a short resume, and basic information about you.
Our submission process requires a short resume, a brief bio, and basic contact information. Please note that spelling and grammar count.
A good article length is 600-800 words, though we will take them up to 1,000. Editors are always available by phone to discuss any concerns or questions you may have, including article length.
To maintain a column requires at least one article per week, however, to grow an audience, and stay relevant, requires a greater commitment. Our top writers submit 2 or more original articles per [a typical] week.
The time you spend on your column is up to you, but frequent publishing is one major key to column success.
For veteran writers, Communities provides a strong platform that has the reach to your audience and that provides access to professional editors – because a veteran writer knows a good editor only makes you better.
For new writers, just out of J-School or wanting to change career course, Communities provides the training and tools needed to publish and promote articles. We can also help you to learn skills, meet deadlines and help you create a byline for your resume.
All writers enjoy access to our platform that includes broad social media access, Scribble Live chat engines, and the opportunity to participate in, or host, one of our Blog Talk Radio programs.
Writing at Communities Digital News means you will grow your audience and brand through our Google News site.
Writers who spend time promoting their content to their social and business networks using tools such as Twitter, Digg, Facebook, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, email lists, message boards, and word-of-mouth are the most successful.
And if you’re not sure how to be an effective social media marketer, we can help you learn how to master online marketing platforms.
If you are trying to grow traffic on your own blog or website, feel free to include one link to your website at the end of each post.
There is no cost to the writers and contributors, but some writers do create a pay stream while others become shareholders in CommDigiNews.
Please do not hesitate to contact Jacquie Kubin (301-503-4533 or [email protected]) if you have questions or concerns. Or, if you have a story you would like to send in, attach it to an email as a word document (please do not embed images or videos – add them as a separate attachment) and attach a headshot, 100 x 100.
Now the fine print:
We will not publish content that violates or does not adhere to Communities Digital News content guidelines or that contains:
- Adult content that is suitable only for mature adults / NSFW.
- Content that is abusive or harmful to any group of individuals including women and children
- No Ad hominem attacks against any group or person
- No definitive statements you cannot support. Not all women swoon over Brad Pitt. Many women swoon Brad Pitt. All women do not.
- Content that encourages or promotes hate or violence or violent acts or advocates racial intolerance.
- Copyrighted material quoted or reproduced without verified permission from the original source including, but not limited to a link, receipt for a purchased image, or attribution to the original source, including photos, videos, memes and graphics
- Content encouraging the abuse of drugs, alcohol, and tobacco or tobacco-related content
- Articles promoting or describing methods for hacking and / or cracking content
- Content that promotes the illegal use of weapons or firearms and/or advocates use of same in violent acts
- Content that would be generally considered to be illegal or encourages illegal acts or activities
May 12, 2014 – UPDATE: Communities Digital News is sensitive to and will reject any content filed that appears to have been written for the benefit of a paid contractor or employee. Communities Digital News does employ experts in certain fields. However, coverage should be general and not defined to that writer’s company, person or clients.
Communities Digital News retains the right to accept or refuse to publish any article. Communities Digital News retains the right to edit any article to meet guidelines, presently known or unknown.
Communities Digital News does report on the news and policy as it affects the conversation. However, when discussing sensitive issues, including gun ownership and law, political policy, LGBT issues, Immigration, or other issues, we require respect and balance in all articles.
Please copy and paste the following information with any submission; if your article is accepted, you will receive an addition (short and easy) form, and invitation to join CDN as a regular columnist or contributor.
By submitting this form I hereby give Communities Digital News, LLC and http://www.commdiginews.com, permission to post my original work to the digital newspaper, Communities Digital News (CDN)
By returning this document with my name and address inserted below, I attest that:
· This article is my own original work in its entirety except as cited/attributed to an original creator and that I accept all liability for false information, plagiarism, or libel.
· I understand that editors at Communities will edit for content, grammar, spelling and/or length. Please add links to all attributable sources or research.
· I understand that I am giving the Communities my permission to publish this column without restraint.
· I understand that publishing of this work is not a guarantee of employment, future publishing or promise of payment from Communities Digital News.
. I understand that publishing of any work does not give permission to the author to represent that they are a columnist or staff writer for Communities Digital News.
We appreciate your submission to Communities.
If you would like to speak to an editor regarding having an ongoing column, please do not hesitate to contact us at 301-503-4533.
I,_ _____, have read and agree to the above terms of publishing as a guest writer at Communities Digital News.
(Please insert your address/phone: ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
and save this document as a .doc and email back to [email protected]. By sending this back to me from your email address, it signifies that you have read, understand and agree to the previous terms. Please insert initials here (__)
Also, please attach a 100×100 in focus headshot of yourself
All links at Communities Digital News are ‘no follow’. We will not consider articles submitted for the purpose of promoting a business or industry or that are seeking link backs.
Please copy the above and email to Jacquie Kubin at [email protected] with your articles, link or idea.