HOUSTON, May 5, 2015 — The Clintons have been caught in a very serious lie that cannot be dismissed as a mere peccadillo. They claimed that 88 percent of the money sent to the Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation is spent on charitable causes. However, documents turned into the IRS show that only 10 percent of the funds is applied toward charitable works. The remaining 90 percent is spent on overhead.
A charity spends its money on charity. There is no moral ambiguity in what constitutes charitable giving. What the Clintons have is a family slush fund. The family that bashed the 1980s as the decade of the greed has spent their adult lives in a never-ending avaricious state.
The Clintons will insist that they do good work, but it depends on what the meaning of “work” is.
Wealthy liberal dilettantes flit across the globe burning carbon emissions to attend an annual meeting of the Clinton Foundation. No actual work is done at this meeting. It is a brainstorming session. At the risk of offending the easily offended, this can be accomplished through teleconferencing. Wealthy plutocrats have every right to spend their money on luxurious travel, but they should not try to convince themselves that luxury means necessity or that travel equates to work.
There are any number of causes that can help separate liberal one-percenters from their guilt and their ill-gotten gains. Many of these charities are worthwhile. As for the Clinton Foundation, it is time to stop judging it by the liberal standard of intentions and analyze it solely on the conservative notion of results. The results are in. Wealthy people pay money to the Clintons in exchange for access to them and their influence. Some of these wealthy people are unsavory characters. Some of them have connections to governments that are corrupt and even hostile to American interests. Proving quid pro quo arrangements is difficult, but the pattern is clear. Foreigners and others pay money to the Clintons. In return, the Clintons provide access to the levers of American power.
A tenth of the money given to the Clintons is actually spent on charitable endeavors, and even some of those causes are dubious. The Clinton Foundation has sacrificed depth for width. Building houses for poor people and curing AIDS are noble, laudable goals. Yet the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation already works to cure AIDS. So does the federal government on a program created by rock singer Bobo of U2 and implemented by President George W. Bush. Any work the Clinton Foundation does on this issue is duplicative.
Other causes are more folly, although that can be debated politically. Climate change is the subject of fierce debate by those willing to engage in honest and open debate, but one aspect of the conversation is not in dispute. Lear jet liberals do not need to fly to exotic locales for climate change conferences. Again, Skype conversations would do less harm to the environment for the true believers. Nothing about saving the planet requires expensive junkets. The poaching of elephants is sad, but it only became a priority of the Clinton Foundation when young Chelsea decided to focus on the issue. While there is nothing wrong with this from a humanitarian standpoint, it provides an example of how an entity can lose focus when its core mission is not clear. When 90 percent of the money raised goes to salaries and other administrative functions, trying to save the trees and the elephants comes at the expense of human suffering.
Technically the Clintons are burning through the money of other rich liberals. They re not wasting taxpayer resources. However, this does not alter the fact that the claims the Clintons make about the Clinton Foundation are false. They are not healing the world. They are plundering the pockets of others who expect, and in many occasions demand, real favors in return. This is not government saving the world. It is government corruption.
In an attempt to separate the Clintons from the foundation bearing their name, they brought in Clinton crony Donna Shalala to run it. She recently stepped down as president of the University of Miami after that entity was ensnared in a major pay-for-play scandal involving its athletics department. The Clintons cannot seem to find anybody other than individuals drowning in kickbacks, paybacks, and winks, nods and back slaps.
This is who they are. This is who they have always been. This is how they can look Americans in the eye and claim that their personal slush fund is a charitable institution.
Charity does begin at home, but in the case of the Clintons, it ended there as well.
Anything short of an independent audit of the Clinton Foundation would be an attempt to stifle the truth. Given the history of the Clintons, expect more graft, more stonewalling and zero honest answers or transparency.