WASHINGTON, August 17, 2014 — A wife buried her husband, a daughter her daddy, a son his father and a father his son.
U.S. Army Major General Harold Greene was the highest ranking fatality in the war in Afghanistan. He was killed by an Afghani military police officer while he was overseeing the safe transition of power to the Afghani people.
Greene is one of 2,201 U.S. Military deaths in the war in Afghanistan. Each of those 2,201 persons — every husband, wife, father, mother, daughter and son who died in Afghanistan — died under the command of the Commander in Chief.
— Laughter NT (@cat_lmbo) August 17, 2014
One would think that to be a part, big or small, of an American soldier’s burial would be an honor. One would think that the Commander in Chief’s presence at the burial of the highest-ranking officer killed in hostile action on foreign soil in over 40 years would be obligatory.
The president is a busy and important man. His absence from Greene’s burial might be necessary if he’s engaged in affairs of state; he would send the vice president or a cabinet secretary as his surrogate.
President Obama was busy playing golf, far too busy to pay his respects to one of his generals who fell leading America’s charge down the hill. And he was too busy, it seems, to find a surrogate.
The Fact that our leadership (President, Vice President and Sec of Defense) did not attend Major General Greene’s funeral is appalling — Jason Sweigart (@jasonsweigart24) August 17, 2014
— Joseph (Joe) M Ryan (@JosephMRyan1) August 17, 2014
This is not the first time Obama has failed to appear where propriety or respect say he should. He said that the border crisis was not his problem, it is the Republicans’ problem. And he did not want to be part of a “photo op” appearance.
Instead he went to play pool in Colorado with Governor Hinkenlooper.
He declined an invitation to speak at the 150th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address, even though he borrowed Lincoln’s Bible for both of his swearing-in ceremonies.
President Obama attending this event would have been significant for several reasons. He is the nation’s first black commander in chief, and speaking in Gettysburg would have served as a reminder to Americans how far the nation has come since the dark days of the Civil War.
Obama did make the trip to the 70th commemorative ceremonies of D-Day at Normandy, but he generally prefers fundraisers to solemn ceremony.
Veteran White House reporter Keith Koffler writes:
“Instead of scheduling a brief event to mark the 68th anniversary of America’s brutal landing on the shores of Normandy, Obama is already on his way to San Francisco, where he will hold two fundraisers before moving on to Beverly Hills to stage two more.
“Obama failed to mark D-Day with either a speech or a written proclamation both last year or the year before. He did give a speech in 2009, the 65th anniversary of the event.
“First Lady Michelle Obama, who has made much of her “Joining Forces” campaign to support military families, also has nothing planned for D-Day. She’ll be in New York City for a fundraiser and then in Philadelphia to meet with campaign volunteers.
“Obama’s failure to mark D-Day in any significant way is both a shame and a political mistake.”
Obama has a reputation for being cool, cerebral and thoughtful. Empathetic and generous don’t make the list. In light of his preference for golf over duty and other lapses in propriety from this White House, we might conclude that his defining characteristic is being self-centered. His cool thoughtfulness may be nothing more than self-indulgent indolence; his intelligence, glibness.
From Obamalies.net, a short list of Obama’s failures:
- Hawaii is in Asia
- Passing on the Keystone Pipeline.
- Touts a Green Energy Company as exemplary that fails a year later.
- Using the Gulf Oil Spill to promote Green Energy – instead of cleaning it up.
- Thinking the Tea Party is a passing fad – or that they are racists.
- Pulling out of Iraq with no clear victory over insurgent forces.
- Trying to re-write history through speeches – with inaccurate information (i.e. Statue of Liberty)
- Getting a Nobel Prize for being the most ineffective President in the history of the United States, though some say it was for his pigment.
- Putting all legislation on the Internet for five days before it comes to a vote.
- Returning the bust of Churchill to the Brits.
- Giving a collection of DVDs to the British PM.
- Denying the notion of American Exceptionalism.
- Promising to close Gitmo — failing to do so.
- Securing the Olympics for Chicago in 2016.
- Naming numerous Communists/Socialists/Progressives to his various Czar positions and then watching them scurry for cover when Beck begins to call them out, forcing them to resign.
- Government races for NJ, VA and the Senate Seat in Mass.
- The midterm elections, which Obama himself called a shellacking.
- Prediction that stimulus would ensure that unemployment doesn’t exceed 8%.
- Bowing to just about everybody.
- Proposing amnesty for illegal aliens to increase the population of voters for Democrat elections.
- He said, I have visited 57 states. Now there is just 1 left to visit.
- Obama to Medvedev: Give me space; I will have more flexibility after my election.
In case you need just a little bit more: