SAN DIEGO, November 28, 2016 — The election is over and Democrats lost the presidency, both houses of Congress, and many governorships across the land.
But don’t celebrate too quickly Republicans! Before the new era commences, you need to be reminded that Democrats (and the progressive constituents they represent) are very flexible with rules. Rules in Washington can be changed depending upon the situation. Rules across the country are also subject to special exception clauses.
Sound confusing? Not really! All you have to do is study the list below and you will realize that Democrats and Republicans operate under different rules, as do liberals and conservatives. However, (and this is very important) the Democrats will make the rules for both.
- When Republicans lose the White House or majority rule in the House of Representatives and Senate, it means ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES. The people have spoken! Democracy has given the green light for Democrats to rule, even if it means bills such as the Affordable Health Care Act are going to be jammed through without even a whisper of Republican affirmation.
- However, when Republicans win both houses of congress and the presidency, leaving only a minority representation of Democrats in Washington, it means “the people want bi-partisanship.” Republicans have a duty and obligation to reach across the aisle and compromise with Democrats.
- On this same subject, when Republicans in congress refuse to compromise and work with Democrats, they are being “partisan.”
- When Democrats in congress refuse to work with Republicans, it is because they are people of conviction who cannot compromise in good conscience.
- When Republican politicians change their positions, they are “flip flopping.”
- When Democrat politicians change their positions, they are “evolving.”
- Liberals are more nuanced than conservatives. They do not give in to simple minded, one-dimensional thinking.
- However, when conservatives are accused of being homophobic for not believing in same-sex marriage, or racist for not wanting to reelect Obama, or racist for believing in voter I.D., their attempts to provide nuanced defense will be summarily rejected.Racism and homophobia are the only possible explanations for conservative positions. These are simple issues. There is no complexity. There are no facts even worth considering.
- When the mayors of “sanctuary cities” refuse to cooperate with the federal government, it is merely a reminder of the importance of state rights.
- When the federal government’s Supreme Court overturns the decisions of over 30 states that defined legal marriage as the union of a man and a woman, we must remember that state rights do not apply to politically incorrect backwoods thinking.
- On a related subject: There is no important difference between men and women where marriage is concerned. A child with two fathers or two mothers is just as well off as a child with both a father and a mother.
- However, when choosing Supreme Court justices, we should understand that there are indeed distinct differences between men and women. Therefore, a Supreme Court justice of different race and gender is going to bring a fresh perspective to the table.
- When considering abortion, it is the woman’s body and her own choice. When considering the practice of smoking or eating too much sugar, or consuming too much cholesterol laced food, women and men alike must realize that their bodies are part of a larger national pool.Since the government is taking responsibility for our health, this same government should also be allowed to fashion new laws that keep our bodies in shape, thus maintaining affordable health care for all.
- Other countries are allowed to have borders. America is not. That would be exclusionary, racist and mean.
- Other countries are allowed to have a national language. America is not. That would be exclusionary, racist and mean.
- Countries that have their own language and borders are allowed to criticize America for wanting the same. They can call us racist for it. Should America challenge the double standard of these countries, it will only support the charge of racism, made worse by dangerous nationalism.
- Where our single country is concerned, America should celebrate diversity of culture instead of teaching national pride. The idea of a melting pot must be done away with.
- Where the entire world is concerned, the cultures of each country should not be celebrated and we should instead view ourselves as one global village. We should also submit to international law.
Aren’t these rules fun? They could be the end of our country, but never mind. Just follow these rules and be the most popular politician or the most sensitive, politically correct person around the water cooler at work.
This is Bob Siegel, making the obvious, obvious.
Bob Siegel is a weekend radio talk show host on KCBQ and a columnist. Details of his show can be found at www.bobsiegel.net