WASHINGTON, July 16, 2016 – As everyone knows, the news recently has been filled with tragedy and violence. From police shootings to civilian shootings to the constant bloodshed in the Middle East, we are living in a very cruel and troubling time.
However, it is important, now more than ever, to remember that there is still good in our world and that we all must remember to look for the good in our lives, to note and reflect on every random act of kindness that we see or do and realize that it does matter. And most of it begins with being aware of those in the world around us and reacting with kindness.
Even something seemingly inconsequential can change someone’s day. Positivity goes a long way, especially in times when it seems that there is only negativity.
With this in mind, here are ten random acts of kindness we can all do easily do:
- When riding on public transportation, be aware of those around you, giving your seat to the elderly, a mother with young children or passengers traveling with suitcases.
- If you see something, say something – help people who may have forgotten a package, or a bag on the bus or at the checkout.
- Be aware of who is standing in line with you at a fast food restaurant. Buy a vet lunch, help someone who needs help get their tray to their table. Help someone get their packages from the cart to their car.
- Give to those society ignores. Of yourself. A quarter to a homeless person is always appreciated, but include a smile, a nod a recognition that they too exist, that they are not invisible.
- While walking in your neighborhood, pick up the trash others throw away making our environment better.
- If you see someone that is lost, help them with directions or help them to make a call.
- Leave a positive message for someone you love, or someone you don’t know. Carry Post-It notes and don’t just leave, leave positive messages behind.
- Bend down to talk to a child.
- Donate some time to your local animal shelter, elderly day-care, or a neighbor that could use a little help
- Smile. It is one thing you have an unlimited amount of, costs you nothing to share, and will make a difference. Smile at the child, the elderly, the person of another color – open your eyes to those you see through everyday and smile.
For anyone looking for uplifting and inspirational stories, the Good News Network is filled with enough positive stories to lift anyone’s day. Do you have a favorite Random Act of Kindness? Share in comments below.
“Only in the darkness can you see the stars” – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Copyright 2016 Communities Digital News
• The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the editors or management of Communities Digital News.
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities Digital News, LLC. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.
Correspondingly, Communities Digital News, LLC uses its best efforts to operate in accordance with the Fair Use Doctrine under US Copyright Law and always tries to provide proper attribution. If you have reason to believe that any written material or image has been innocently infringed, please bring it to the immediate attention of CDN via the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Contact page so that it can be resolved expeditiously.