PAIRED moves to their new time, Monday night at 6:30 p.m. and this week Chef Mary and Duane travel to France and discuss fall favorites French Onion Soup, Coq Au Vin and beef Bourgeon. The one ingredient that defines French Food are the stocks and sauces that are the basis of many great recipes.
A classic sauce to enhance beef or poultry and incorporating beef stock is a traditional brown, or Espagnole, sauce.
Basic Brown Sauce
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onion, medium dice
1 stalk celery, medium dice
1 carrot, medium dice
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup wine
2 1/2 cups beef stock
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon cold butter
1. Heat a heavy saucepan over medium heat and add the 2 T of butter.
2. Saute the onion, celery and carrot until caramelized, about 5-6 minutes.
3. Add the tomato paste and continue to cook an additional minute.
4. Add the flour, tossing to coat the vegetables, and cook for one minute more. Deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping any fond off the bottom of the pan.
5. Add the stock and bay leaf and whisk to combine the ingredients. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for about 10-15 minutes, or until the sauce is reduced slightly and vegetables are soft.
6. Pass through a food mill or strainer into another pot and mount with the cold butter.
– Use brown sauce over grilled or sauteed red meat.
– Add 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard to the finished sauce and serve with pork chops or pork tenderloin.
On this weeks Paired, Mary and Duane will be talking to Ben Hummel, Brand Manager from Pacific Natural Foods to discuss stock and broth, the difference between then and how to use them in your cooking.
Also on the show Mary discusses preparation tips for some of her favorite French foods and Duane will be talking about the hearty red wines that add the perfect finish to your French cuisine.
Listen to Paired here live, and join our live chat where you can participate, ask questions and share your favorite recipes and tips. Paired is available in archives at CommDigiNews Hour on Communities Digital News.
This week’s wine selections are the 2011 Waterbrook Merlot and the 2012 Primarius Pinot Noir.
Listen to Paired: On Demand