SAN DIEGO, December 16, 2014 —The lovely aromas of honey, pears and spices wafting from the oven makes Riesling Baked Pears an excellent choice for a healthy Christmas dessert with a beautiful guest-pleasing presentation.
Naturally plump yet statuesque, pears are an extremely healthy fruit. This distinguished fruit and member of the rose family is native to both Europe and Asia, and is known to be present as early as 1,000 BC.
Containing naturally-occurring antioxidants, flavanoids, and anticancer nutrients, pears are considered helpful for those with diabetes, and also in ameliorating the risks contributing to inflammation, heart disease and several forms of cancer.
For any holiday host or hostess, considering each guest’s health concerns is a thoughtful necessity, and pears are considered low-allergy, making them a good choice to address many concerns when it comes to pleasing health conscious guests.
It is easy to enjoy the elegant, yet simple to prepare, Riesling Baked Pears recipe, published in Eating Well:
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 45 minutes to 1 hr
-4 ripe pears, preferably Bosc, with stems, washed and dried
-2 cups Riesling or other fruity white wine
-1/4 cup honey
-4 cinnamon sticks
-4 bay leaves
-4 strips orange zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each pear, so each will stand upright. Arrange the pears in a 9- to 10-inch pie pan or similar baking dish. Whisk wine and honey in a medium bowl until well blended; pour over the pears. Add cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and orange zest to the wine mixture around the pears.
- Roast the pears, basting every 15 minutes, until they are wrinkled and tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour depending upon the type of pear used.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the pears to shallow dessert bowls. Pour the wine mixture into a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil until slightly thickened, about 6 minutes. Drizzle over the pears and garnish with cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and orange zest.
- Serve warm, at room temperature chilled.
Calories per pear: 241
Fiber: 2 g
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 other carbohydrates
Preparing, serving and enjoying Riesling Baked Pears noticeably includes maintaining the pear skins intact.
Pear skins are considered especially important to good health and are thought to contain high levels of the pear’s overall nutrients.
During the holiday season, adorn the table with a beautiful, pleasing and healthful dessert which features pears as the main ingredient.
The undeniably pleasing scent of slowly baking Riesling Baked Pears will add an unforgettable fragrance, infusing any home at Christmastime with a naturally heart-warming bouquet–lasting long in memory well-after the holiday season has passed.
Until next time, enjoy the ride in good health!
Laurie Edwards-Tate, MS, is a health care provider of over 30 years. As a featured “Communities Digital News” columnist, LifeCycles with Laurie Edwards-Tate emphasizes healthy aging and maintaining independence, while delighting and informing its readers. Laurie is a recognized expert in home and community-based, long-term care services, and is also an educator.
In addition to writing for “Communities Digital News,” Laurie is the President and CEO of her firm, At Your Home Familycare, which serves persons of all ages who are disabled and infirm with a variety of non-medical, in-home care and concierge services.
Copyright © 2014 by At Your Home FamilycareClick here for reuse options!
Copyright 2014 Communities Digital News
• The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the editors or management of Communities Digital News.
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities Digital News, LLC. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.
Correspondingly, Communities Digital News, LLC uses its best efforts to operate in accordance with the Fair Use Doctrine under US Copyright Law and always tries to provide proper attribution. If you have reason to believe that any written material or image has been innocently infringed, please bring it to the immediate attention of CDN via the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Contact page so that it can be resolved expeditiously.