SAN DIEGO, March 22, 2016 — Asparagus, a member of the lily family, has been a popular vegetable since Greek and Roman times.
Asparagus later found its way into the palatial Versailles greenhouses of Louie XIV of France.
In the U.S., asparagus was first introduced and cultivated in New England. Today, California is the top asparagus-producing state in America.
Asparagus is low in calories and fat and rich in fiber, protein, calcium and vitamin B, making it a healthy as well as tasty vegetable.
This grilled asparagus with caper vinaigrette recipe, published in Cooking Light, is a great side dish and is easy to prepare.
Grilled Asparagus with Caper Vinaigrette
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus spears, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons capers, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup small basil leaves
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat
- Place asparagus in a shallow dish. Add 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt, tossing well to coat. Place asparagus on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill four minutes or until crisp-tender, turning after two minutes.
- Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, vinegar and next three ingredients (through garlic); stir with a whisk. Slowly pour remaining 2 tablespoons oil into vinegar mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in capers.
- Arrange asparagus on a serving platter; drizzle with vinaigrette, and sprinkle with basil.
Yields approximately six servings of about four asparagus spears each.
Total preparation and cooking time: 30 minutes
This delicious yet simple grilled asparagus dish can be paired with many summertime entrees.
Enjoying such healthy fare does not mean it has to be short on taste!
Until next time, enjoy the ride in good health!
Laurie Edwards-Tate, MS, is a health care provider of over 32 years. As a featured “Communities Digital News” columnist, LifeCycles with Laurie Edwards-Tate emphasizes healthy aging and maintaining independence, while delighting and informing its readers. Laurie is a recognized expert in home and community-based, long-term care services, and is also an educator.
In addition to writing for “Communities Digital News,” Laurie is the President and CEO of her firm, At Your Home Familycare, which serves persons of all ages who are disabled and infirm with a variety of non-medical, in-home care and concierge services.
Copyright © 2016 by At Your Home FamilycareClick here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 Communities Digital News
• The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the editors or management of Communities Digital News.
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities Digital News, LLC. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.
Correspondingly, Communities Digital News, LLC uses its best efforts to operate in accordance with the Fair Use Doctrine under US Copyright Law and always tries to provide proper attribution. If you have reason to believe that any written material or image has been innocently infringed, please bring it to the immediate attention of CDN via the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Contact page so that it can be resolved expeditiously.