WASHINGTON, November 24, 2015 – Thanksgiving can be a challenge for those wanting to maintain their healthful diets and keep with the table laded with rich foods tradition. Some things, like desserts, can be especially difficult however this classic Pumpkin Pie is egg free and still silky and delicious.
1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup vegetable shortening or lard
4 tablespoons cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 (16-ounce) can pumpkin (2 cups)
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Set aside a 9-inch pie plate.
- Use a store bought crust or to prepare piecrust: In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and shortening; with a pastry blender, cut in until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add water a little at a time and, with a fork, stir gently. When mixture is moist, form into a ball and with a rolling pin dusted with flour, on a lightly floured surface roll out from center until it is 1/8 inch thick.
- Press into pie plate; trim edges ½ inch beyond rim.
- With your thumb and index fingers pinch around dish to make scallops. Set pie shell aside.
- Prepare filling in a large bowl, combine vanilla, brown sugar, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin and condensed milk. With a wooden spoon, stir until completely mixed. Pour into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean
- Cool on wire rack and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
Makes 1 9-inch pie
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, at room temp
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 recipe coconut oil pie crust
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place prepared pie crust into a 9 inch pie plate and decorate edges as desired. Place in refrigerator while oven is preheating. Let rest for about 2 minutes out a room temperature before baking.
Prick shell all over generously with a fork and fill with pie weights or spoons and/or forks (to prevent shrinking). Bake for 15-20 minutes, until crust is drier and beginning to slightly brown. Remove weights and set aside.
Meanwhile, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer. Add pumpkin, spices and salt and beat until combined. Beat in sugar. Add remaining ingredients and beat until well combined.
Pour the filling into the baked pie crust and bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until center is just set (it’s okay if it still jiggles a little). Cool completely and serve with freshly whipped cream.
Recipe courtesy of Free Coconut Recipes
And enjoy this easy to make pumpkin pie recipe with a great whipped cream tip at the end!