CHARLOTTE, December 30, 2014 ― Everybody loves quotes and lists. So here’s a “quist” (quote list) of the best sayings about New Year’s Eve.
1. “The proper behavior all through the holiday season is to be drunk. This drunkenness culminates on New Year’s Eve, when you get so drunk you kiss the person you’re married to.” – P.J. O’Rourke
2. “Youth is when you’re allowed to stay up late on New Year’s Eve. Middle age is when you’re forced to.” – Bill Vaughan
3. “May all your troubles last as long as your New Year’s resolutions.” – Joey Adams
4. “New Year’s Day – Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can being paving hell with them as usual.” – Mark Twain
5. “Drop the last year into the silent limbo of the past. Let it go, for it was imperfect, and thank God that it can go.” – Brooks Atkinson
6. “New Year’s Day is every man’s birthday.” -Charles Lamb
7. “New Year’s Eve, where auld acquaintance be forgot. Unless, of course, those tests come back positive.” – Jay Leno
8. “I do think New Year’s resolutions can’t technically be expected to begin on New Year’s Day, don’t you? Since, because it’s an extension of New Year’s Eve, smokers are already on a smoking roll and cannot be expected to stop abruptly on the stroke of midnight with so much nicotine in the system. Also dieting on New Year’s Day isn’t a good idea as you can’t eat rationally but really need to be free to consume whatever is necessary, moment by moment, in order to ease your hangover. I think it would be much more sensible if resolutions began generally on January the second.” – Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones’s Diary
9. “The only way to spend New Year’s Eve is either quietly with friends or in a brothel. Otherwise when the evening ends and people pair off, someone is bound to be left in tears.” – W.H. Auden
10. “He who breaks a resolution is a weakling; He who makes one is a fool.” – F.M. Knowles
Happy New Year!