SAN DIEGO. October 18, 2016–Halloween is a fun time of year, when family and friends get together for frightening good times.
Trick or treaters parade neighborhood streets, knocking on doors frantically in search of sugary delights to soothe their anxious palates.
Halloween is also a time when candies, sweets and other treats abound, creating a tendency to over consume them and making it difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Superhero help is on its way with a popular snack recipe from Cooking Light!
-1 cup packed dark brown sugar (or sugar substitute)
-1/2 cup light-colored corn syrup
-1/3 cup butter (or butter substitute)
-1 tablespoon light molasses
-1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon salt (or light salt)
-12 cups popcorn (popped without salt or fat)
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Coat a large jelly roll pan with cooking spray.
3. Combine sugar, corn syrup, butter, and molasses in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Place popcorn in a large bowl; pour sugar mixture over popcorn in a steady stream, stirring to coat.
4. Spread popcorn mixture into prepared pan. Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
5. Remove from oven; stir to break up any large clumps. Cool 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
6. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Caramel Popcorn is ideal for serving at home, or as a gift this Halloween.
With only 126 calories per serving (18 2/3 cups servings), Caramel Popcorn is low in fat, while providing trace amounts of iron and 15 mg calcium.
Enjoy this Halloween season with the benefits of tasty homemade treats made with good health in mind.
Until next time, enjoy the ride in good health!Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 Communities Digital News
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities Digital News, LLC. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.
Correspondingly, Communities Digital News, LLC uses its best efforts to operate in accordance with the Fair Use Doctrine under US Copyright Law and always tries to provide proper attribution. If you have reason to believe that any written material or image has been innocently infringed, please bring it to the immediate attention of CDN via the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Contact page so that it can be resolved expeditiously.