SAN DIEGO. October 25, 2016– Americans love chocolate, especially on Halloween. In 2015, chocolate sales in the US grew by approximately 47.8% from the pervious year.
Who knew that something so elegantly seductively as chocolate would be the most sought after treat during a season of ghosts, goblins, witches, warlocks, and black cats?
Established in the 1900’s, Hershey’s chocolate is ranked as America’s favorite chocolate company, according to USA Today, which further ranks the top selling Halloween candies for 2013:
- Reese’s: A Hershey company product, its annual sales were over approximately $509 million.
- M&M’s: A Mars company product, its annual sales were over approximately $500 million.
- Snickers: A Mars company product, its annual sales were over $456 million approximately.
- Hershey’s chocolate bars: Hershey company product, their annual sales were approximately over $324 million.
- Kit Kat: A Hershey company product, its annual sales were over approximately $306 million.
Chocolate produces feelings of well-being upon consumption, due to its stimulation of endorphins.
This might explain why chocolate is hard to resist and how consuming it in moderation might be a difficult accomplishment for most people.
Made from cocoa beans, chocolate is thought to contain more than 300 compounds that are beneficial to health, including flavonoids which help free radicals in the body while helping to prevent heart disease, cancer, and more, according to Medical News Today.
However, be aware that if chocolate is not in its purest most healthy form, it could pose serious health risks if consumed in large quantities due to the fat, sugar and caloric content once manufactured into candy.
“As an occasional treat, chocolate can be part of a healthy diet. Eaten too frequently, it is an unhealthy choice,” according to Alison Hornby of the British Dietetic Association, published in Medical News Today.
However Halloween is celebrated this year, whether with family, friends, school events, community happenings, or good old fashioned trick-or-treating there is no doubt that chocolate candy will be a Halloween favorite!
All of us at LifeCycles send wishes for a safe and enjoyable Halloween experience.
Until next time, enjoy the ride in good health!