The first day of spring: Celebrating the vernal equinox
SAN DIEGO, March 20, 2018–Today is the official day of springtime! The Weather Channel informs us that the vernal equinox occurs at 12:15 p.m. EDT, and is the time in which the sun’s rays cross from the southern hemisphere into the northern hemisphere.
What does that mean to those living in the northern hemisphere?
During that time the sun is shining directly over the equator–delighting both hemispheres with equal amounts of sunlight.
THE SEASON FOR RENEWAL IS HERE
Joyousness resounds as longer days of sunlight and warmer temperatures provide increased opportunities for maximizing life’s experiences.
Springtime activities increase with opportunities for greater varieties of outdoor recreation, more time to spend with family and friends and more possibilities for parties and other social engagements.
Our bodies respond with glee as it soaks up springtime sun absorbing increased Vitamin D with its positive benefits for our bones, immune system and well-being.
There is a spirit of renewal experienced by most as the gloom of winter gives way to the colors and sounds of springtime–replete with melodious birds, croaking frogs, baby animals, colorful flowers, new varieties of plant and vegetable life and more.
“For oft, when on my couch I lie
in vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.”
SPRINGTIME OFFERS MANY HEALTH BENEFITS
According to the Medic Alert Foundation, there are a variety of Healthy Reasons to Love this Time of Year:
- Boost to mental health-The longer days and fresh outdoors provide positive emotional benefits.
- Spring-cleaned diet-Time to visit the local grocer and discover springtime produce such as asparagus, peas, and springtime fruits.
- Increased vitamin D-More sunlight boosts bones, immune system, muscles and nerves functioning.
- Healthier Home-Open windows and allow springtime breezes to refresh the home.
- Spring cleaning-Household renewal in the form of spring cleaning, is an ideal time for bagging up unused clothing and other items which could be donated to help others in need.
- Exercise more-Springtime is a perfect time to restart favorite outdoor activities and recreation.
SAY ADIOS TO WINTERTIME HIBERNATION OR CABIN FEVER!
Taking time to experience the sights, sounds and smells of springtime will be inspirational.
Springtime is nature’s evidence that renewal is entirely possible.
Following in line with springtime’s queue, no matter how life might be at the time there is always hope for renewal.
Springtime is the perfect time to inhale and experience the miracles of abounding new life.
Choose to reset, restart and revel in the endless possibilities of being upward-moving and breaking through the frozen ground of winter and blossoming into springtime.
Until next time, enjoy the ride in good health!