SAN DIEGO, September 6, 2016 – Profusely purple eggplant is common in North America, and is healthy and delicious.
A member of the nightshade family, this healthy fruit is related to both the tomato and potato and is used as a vegetable.
According to Wikipedia, eggplant originated in southern and eastern Asia since prehistory, with reference made in Qimin Yaoshu, an ancient Chinese agricultural treatise dated 544.
Eggplant is also known to have grown in ancient Greece, Rome, Africa, the Mediterranean and Arab countries.
As summertime continues, it is the perfect time to bring out the backyard grill and enjoy this easy to make Grilled Eggplant Panini, with recipe published in Eating Well
2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
8 1/2- inch slices eggplant (skinned)
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
8slices whole-grain country bread
8 thin slices fresh mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
4 thin slices red onion
1. Preheat grill to medium-high
2. Combine mayonnaise and basil in a small bowl. Using 1 tablespoon oil, lightly brush both sides of eggplant and sprinkle each slice with garlic salt. With the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, brush one side of each slice of bread.
3. Grill the eggplant for 6 minutes, turn with a spatula top with cheese, and continue grilling until the cheese is melted and the eggplant is tender, about 4 minutes more. Toast the bread on the grill, 1 to 2
minutes per side.
4. To assemble sandwiches: Spread basil mayonnaise onto four slices of bread. Top with the cheesy eggplant, red peppers, onion and the remaining slices of bread. Cut in half and serve warm–enjoy!
The profuse, deep purple hue of the eggplant skin is a nature’s giveaway that it is packed with healthful nutrients.
Relatively low in carbohydrates, sugar and fat and calories, eggplant has an abundance of B vitamins, vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Vitamin K.
Also mineral-packed, eggplant contains calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, potassium and zinc.
Enjoy the remainder of summer and all the natural bounty this season provides.
Grilled Eggplant Panini could very well become a delicious mealtime staple many summers to come.
Until next time, enjoy the ride in good health!Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2016 Communities Digital News
• The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the editors or management of Communities Digital News.
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities Digital News, LLC. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.
Correspondingly, Communities Digital News, LLC uses its best efforts to operate in accordance with the Fair Use Doctrine under US Copyright Law and always tries to provide proper attribution. If you have reason to believe that any written material or image has been innocently infringed, please bring it to the immediate attention of CDN via the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Contact page so that it can be resolved expeditiously.