WASHINGTON, April 5, 2017 – Though Bill O’Reilly continues to ignore the explosive New York Times story which suggested he’s a serial sexual harasser who retaliates against women who don’t reciprocate his advances, his Twitter followers did not.
O’Reilly put up a tweet to his “Talking Points Memo” on Tuesday.
RUSH TRANSCRIPT — Tonight’s Talking Points Memo: “The Trump Surveillance Story Explodes” https://t.co/Xusfh08vVG
— Bill O’Reilly (@oreillyfactor) April 5, 2017
But the responses, almost universally, wanted only to talk about the allegations.
@oreillyfactor How many chicks you hit on tonight there stud?
— Stanley M. Silver (@Revlis7777) April 5, 2017
— Gnomester210 (@noem210) April 5, 2017
@oreillyfactor What!? You are still on TV? Won’t be for long! Maybe you can make some cash by talking about sexual conquests on Howard Stern Show.
— Stop Trumpageddon (@MomarHall) April 5, 2017
@oreillyfactor More about your $13,000,000 sex settlement please
— David Tonneson (@mplsdave) April 5, 2017
@oreillyfactor 20 companies pull ads. And counting.
— Mary Ann (@MaryFrost24) April 5, 2017
@oreillyfactor Heard you’re changing your show to *Predator and Friends*.
— Wunderkammer (@bercbon4) April 5, 2017
@oreillyfactor I think there’s another story exploding, Bill. I think it involves you
— Evil Toaster (@toaster_evil) April 5, 2017
@oreillyfactor you spelled “THE BILL O’REILLY SEXUAL HARASSMENT STORY EXPLODES” wrong, bud.
— SPC (@seanpcurtis) April 5, 2017
— BIG Larry (@LarryEm312) April 5, 2017
While the responses were overwhelmingly negative, O’Reilly did have a few supporters.
@oreillyfactor I am always amazed at people who follow people on Twitter who they don’t like. I love ya Bill. Haters gonna hate..
— Lisa (@Lisa51711053) April 5, 2017
The New York Times ran an expose in which they claim approximately sixty people were interviewed revealing five lawsuits settled by O’Reilly for a total of around $13 million. Two of the lawsuits, brought by former staffer Andrea Mackris and former FNC host Juliet Huddy, were already public knowledge; Mackris’ lawsuit had been settled for $9 million.
The Times also reports that O’Reilly settled with former Fox Business anchor Rebecca Diamond and former FNC anchor Laurie Dhue over sexual harassment claims. In 2002, he settled with Rachel Bernstein, a producer on the show, after he allegedly berated the staffer in front of colleagues.
O’Reilly issued this statement to The Times:
“Just like other prominent and controversial people,” the statement read, “I’m vulnerable to lawsuits from individuals who want me to pay them to avoid negative publicity. In my more than 20 years at Fox News Channel, no one has ever filed a complaint about me with the Human Resources Department, even on the anonymous hotline.
“But most importantly, I’m a father who cares deeply for my children and who would do anything to avoid hurting them in any way. And so, I have put to rest any controversies to spare my children.”
But he has ignored the story on his show on Monday and Tuesday, which may have been at the advice of counsel, failing to address or acknowledge the allegations.
One woman interviewed for The Times story was psychologist and radio host Wendy Walsh. While Walsh did not file a lawsuit, because she said she feared for her career prospect, she also accused O’Reilly of making sexual advances and then retaliating against her by removing her from his show.
“As we walked past the hostess stand at the restaurant, he turned right towards the bedrooms and I turned left towards the bar and he caught up with me and said, ‘No, no, come back to my suite,'” Walsh said to CNN.
“I said, ‘Sorry, I can’t do that,’ and then he became hostile,” she continued. “All his charming-ness went away and he said the words, ‘You can forget all the business advice I gave you, you’re on your own.’”
Walsh appeared on The Factor in 2013.
So far, at least twenty sponsors- including BMW, Hyundai, and Untuckit- have pulled their advertisements after the scandal broke.