If Trump wins, David will have slain the media Goliath
WASHINGTON, Aug. 18, 2016 — Donald Trump faces concerted opposition in his race for the presidency. It comes not just from Democrats, but even from some establishment Republicans. With the media, they portray Trump as a man completely unfit to be president.
If Trump wins, he will have slain a Goliath.
It is difficult to see how Hillary Clinton could win this election. Aside from her perceived untrustworthiness and high negatives, her policies are not favored by most Americans. Her best chance to win is for Trump to lose. The attacks on Trump’s fitness are precisely what she needs. Clinton and the mainstream media that support her consistently paint Trump as a bigot, a racist and a misogynist.
It is unheard of for much of a candidate’s own party to oppose him. But many Republicans not only don’t support Trump, they are actively campaigning against him. Establishment Republicans have accepted the claim that Trump is unfit to be president.
The New York Times editors and columnists oppose Trump and have even said that they may have an obligation not to report on him objectively. They ridicule his economic plan, which emphasizes economic growth, low taxes and a deregulated economy. They call it “scary,” more evidence that he is unfit to be president. They support the Obama/Clinton economic policy, which puts issues like income inequality above growth and jobs as a primary goal.
The Washington Post calls Trump “a unique threat to American democracy.” It claims that his views are “wrong in their diagnosis of America’s problems and dangerous in their proposed solutions.” It said, “His contempt for constitutional norms might reveal the nation’s two-century experiment in checks and balances to be more fragile than we knew.”
The Post generally supports President Obama, who has used often illegal executive orders to implement actions which the majority of people, represented by members of Congress, simply do not want. Isn’t Obama is the real danger to our system of checks and balances?
The WaPo also says that Trump is “the candidate of the apocalypse.” They claim America has a steadily growing economy and “the absence of a major war.” They expect that Americans should be content with this and not favor a candidate like Trump. The reality is that a recent Gallup poll showed that only 17 percent of Americans feel satisfied with the current state of the country. The other 83 percent do not approve of the way the establishment is leading.
Even long time, well established Republicans have spoken against Trump. The Los Angeles Times recently noted that “Many GOP foreign policy experts see Donald Trump as unfit to be president.” The LA Times said that Trump’s foreign policy “appears (to be) a dark, shoot-from-the-hip unilateralism that puts him at odds with thinking that has dominated the GOP for generations.”
In other words, Trump is not satisfied by the status quo, be it the policies of Democrats or Republicans. And the American public is similarly not satisfied with the status quo.
So we have Donald Trump, who is one person willing to stand up to the Goliath of established Democrats and established Republicans. He is willing to stand up to the powerful American press, which seems more content to elect a candidate that will continue the current policies.
The policies of the last seven and a half years have produced the worst economic recovery since the Great Depression and a terrible foreign policy where the U.S. came out on the short end in countries like Iraq, Iran, Syria, Libya Yemen and Russia. The U.S. leadership presence has been almost eliminated, leading to an unsafe world.
The reality is that there are many established politicians who do not want the system to change. Bloated government spending which results in government projects costing three or four times what a prudent businessperson would spend, have made many, many politicians extremely wealthy. No wonder they are fighting change.
There are times in the course of humankind that one person is willing to stand up to the entire establishment. Most times the person loses since the obstacles are insurmountable. Occasionally, the one person prevails and it is usually to the great benefit of the majority. Abraham Lincoln is the classic example.
The media have been very successful in convincing normally rational people that Donald Trump is a demon, a bigot, a racist. That’s the only way that Hillary will be president. Since she can’t win on the issues, she must give voters a reason to not vote for Trump.
In spite of the size of the Goliath, David (Trump) can slay the giant by simply telling the truth, emphasizing his message and hoping Americans will vote rationally and not be swayed by senseless rhetoric.