SAN DIEGO, October 2, 2018–Why wait for Halloween to enjoy some caramel popcorn, make a batch tonight!
October is a time when candies, sweets and other treats abound, creating a tendency to over consume them and making it difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Superhero help is on its way with a popular snack recipe from Cooking Light!
-1 cup packed dark brown sugar (or sugar substitute)
-1/2 cup light-colored corn syrup
-1/3 cup butter (or butter substitute)
-1 tablespoon light molasses
-1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon salt (or light salt)
-12 cups popcorn (popped without salt or fat)
1. Pre heat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Coat a large jelly roll pan with cooking spray.
3. Combine sugar, corn syrup, butter, and molasses in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Place popcorn in a large bowl; pour sugar mixture over popcorn in a steady stream, stirring to coat.
4. Spread popcorn mixture into prepared pan. Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
5. Remove from oven; stir to break up any large clumps. Cool 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
6. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
GREAT FOR GIFT GIVING
With only 126 calories per serving (18 2/3 cups servings), Caramel Popcorn is low in fat, while providing trace amounts of iron and 15 mg calcium.
Enjoy the autumn season with the benefits of tasty homemade treats made with good health in mind.
Until next time, enjoy the ride in good health!