WASHINGTON, December 14, 2017: In my past few articles, I have shared with you the practices from the book, “Into the Magic Shop” by Dr. James Doty, a successful author, neurosurgeon, businessman, and family man. His book has had a profound effect on my life. I believe the exercises he shares in the book are vital to anyone’s wellbeing either at home, at the workplace or both. Dr. Doty concludes his ideas by addressing his fourth and final practice, Clarifying Your Intent:
Sit in a quiet room and close your eyes.
- Think of a goal or something you wish to accomplish. It does not matter that the details of the vision are not fully formed. It is important that such a goal or vision is one that does not involve harm to another or bad intent. While this technique could help you accomplish such a goal, it will ultimately result in pain and suffering to yourself and make you unhappy.
- Relax your body completely (Practice #1)
- Once relaxed, focus on your breathing and try to empty your mind completely of all thoughts.
- When thoughts arise, guide your attention back to your breath.
- Continue to breathe in and out, completely emptying your mind.
- Now think of your goal or wish and see yourself as having accomplished it. Sit with the vision as you slowly breathe in and out.
- Feel the positive emotions associated with accomplishing your goal or having achieved your wish. Experience how good it feels to have taken a thought and turned it into reality. Sit with the positive feelings as you see yourself having accomplished your goal.
- Once you have seen yourself having accomplished the goal and have sat with the positive feelings, begin to add details to the vision. Exactly how do you look? Where are you? How are people responding to you? Add as much detail to the vision as possible.
Repeat one to two times daily or more for ten to thirty minutes. Each time, begin with the vision of yourself having accomplished your goal. Sit with the feelings you experience. Each time you do this, as you look at the vision continue to add more details. At the outset, your vision will appear to be fuzzy. But the more times you do the exercise, the more the vision will become clearer. You are, in fact, clarifying your intent.
Each time you do the exercise above, you will find you are refining the vision, since your unconscious mind will begin to increase the clarity of the intent. You may be surprised what you discover and how you end up achieving your goal. In the end, however, what is important is the goal, not exactly how you get there.
It is by clarifying your intent that vision becomes a reality.
Give yourself, your family and your friends a meaningful gift for the New Year. Practice good health!
Dr. Doty is interviewed in the following video:
If you would like a copy of the previous articles in this series, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more Information Contact:
Susan Commander Samakow, PCC, CPCC; Certified Business, Life & Career Coach Focusing on Confidence & Resilience Strategies and Transition
301-706-7226 & 703-574-0039
Ask Susan about her coaching packages and the Stress Reducing techniques she teaches: EFT (Tapping) and Breathing Exercises.