NAPA, Calif. BottleRock Napa Valley is once again upon us. While people all around the country are blowing the dust and muck off their grills, BottleRock NV 2019 is preparing for another Memorial Day weekend full of rockin’ tunes, luscious wines, refreshing cocktails and mouth-watering food. Three days of epic indulgement that only rivals Las Vegas during March Madness.
Getting ready for the music
For this year’s festival, there are five main stages, not including the acoustic stages that are popping up all around the festival this year. Consequently, this begs the questions: Where to begin and how do you plan your day?
First, In preparation of BottleRock NV 2019, a it’s a good idea is to build a playlist on Spotify or your music streaming of choice. Then, just recklessly add songs from all the artists into it. You might be surprised and delighted to find an up and comer to add to you new list of favorites.
So let’s begin our BottleRock NV 2019 Friday guide with:
BottleRock NV 2019: Friday bands/artists not to miss
- AJR: Their track “Burn Down the House” is crazy addictive. Upbeat and dark at the same time. Their feelin’ happy style is exactly the kind of music you want to hear at an all day music fest. Their live show should be a total throw down. Also listen for “100 Bad Days,” “Weak,” and “Sober Up.” Try either a Hendrick’s gin craft cocktail or a nice and light, maybe slightly fruity craft beer.
- Anderson East: When doing research for BottleRock NV this year, surprise and delight are the words that come to mind to describe Anderson East. His single “All On My Mind” is as addictive as his sexy powerful voice. This is LA meets Nashville with a layover in Chicago. Definitely a whisky or tequila cocktail for this show. Maybe a deep dark Napa Cab from Amuse Bouche.
- Dessa: Rocker chick meets rapper with Dessa. It’s not hip-hop. It’s not quite rap. It’s not rock. It’s a mix of all of the above. This performance should keep you moving and shaking and interested to see what happens next. Listen for “Fire Drills,” “5 out of 6,” and “Velodrome.” Pair Dessa with something strong that makes you shake your head a little after taking a sip.
- The Dip: This rock-lite band is easy breezy and just what the doctor ordered to keep you grooving at BottleRock NV. It’s like bottled sunshine and puppies coming at you through the sound system. “Sure Don’t Miss You,” O.P. Jebediah” and “Adeline” will do you just fine. For this perky sound, keep it light, drink pink. Stop by the Blackbird Vineyards tent to see if they are pouring their Rose. If so, buy a bottle.
Even More Friday Music
- Imagine Dragons: Imagine Dragons played at BottleRock a few years ago and lit it up! One of the best bands to date that’s performed at BRNV. Go a little early and hunker down in your spot. You’re not going to want to miss a moment of this show. You will have a smile on your face this entire show. Drink whatever makes you happy and it will pair perfectly.
- Flora Cash: This duo has been getting a lot of play on the radio here in the SF Bay area. “You’re Somebody Else” has hauntingly beautiful lyrics and vocals. But it’s a bit slow for a festival like BottleRock. So hopefully they’ll break into their pumped up version with Young Bombs. This set will likely be a bit mellow. So if you’re looking for a break from hopping around like a maniac, this show will be for you. Pop a squat and drink some craft beer or a nice deep and dark red wine.
- Just Loud: Get ready to shake your tailfeather! The upbeat sound of Just Loud should play nicely at BottleRock NV. Rock meets pop in a perfect union of lyrics and rhythm to keep your toes tapping and hips wiggling. Listen for “Electrified,” “Soul Train,” and “Diamonds and Dope Boys.” Something this fun should be paired with a sparkling wine from Schramsberg.
- Jenny Lewis: “Heads Gonna Roll” has been getting a decent amount of airplay in the Bay Area, but don’t let this slower paced song keep you from visiting Jenny Friday. She’s part rocker, part pop, part bluegrass and 100% talented. A nice crisp white wine will pair nicely with her style. Try any white wine that St. Supery is pouring and you won’t be disappointed.
BRNV 2019 Music: Friday’s Final Six
- Logic: If you’re already a Logic fan you don’t need to hear how awesome this show will likely be. The master of mix will be kicking it at full volume on Friday night. A few favorites: “Keanu Reeves,” “Confession of a Dangerous Mind,” “1-800-273-8255.” Whatever you’re drinking, make sure it doesn’t spill easily. Try something in a can to maximize the hip sway and jumping ratio to booze spill.
- Shannon Shaw: a bit of old school R&B blends perfectly with Shannon’s dreamy voice and tight sound coming from the band. Think Amy Winehouse meets Duffy with a bit of Imeda May. Listen for favorites “Broke My Own” and “Goodbye Summer.” Pair Shannon Shaw with a slightly sweet, slightly sour bourbon cocktail.
- Sylvan Esso: This duo offers a sound that is in line with much of popular music today. Deep house chill vibes combined with sultry sounding lyrics and just the right amount of synth. “Die Young,” “Coffee,” “Funeral Singers,” and “Radio” round out the mix. Try either a fruity Hendrick’s gin craft cocktail or vodka for sure with this show.
- Vintage Trouble: This is one of the must see bands at BottleRock this year. This band is part blues and oozes with Motown essence supporting the ever so smooth lyrics being tossed around like there’s no tomorrow. Its as if Al Green had a love child with Sam Cooke with a dash of The Four Tops in the mix. Don’t miss “Gracefully,” “Don’t Stop Forever,” “Everyone is Everyone,” and “Run Like the River.” Pair Vintage Trouble with a smooth and creamy Chardonnay or Pinot Noir.
Official BottleRock Aftershows
Friday’s killer aftershow features the incredible Gary Clark Jr. He’s the guy you hear on the radio when you love the song and ask, who is this. The best of blues and rock combine in Clark’s show. His new album is totally rockin’ and rollin’ with a serious base in the blues. This show will blow you away. Booze pairing? Go for the straight tequila, but a really good tequila and slow sip it, don’t shoot it. Friday’s aftershow is at 10pm at the Jam Cellars Ballroom. Walking distance from BottleRock. Tickets start at $65 and get them here.
Last minute single day tickets are still available for BottleRock Napa Valley 2019.
Check out the BottleRock website for details.
Also, check out our CDN BRNV 2019 festival preview here.