WASHINGTON, December 24, 2015 – Ho-ho-ho! Santa is bringing 2015’s beleaguered traders two trading days off this week and next, plus a little bit more. Stock trading around this time of year is an iffy thing. The market’s tendency is to go up (Santa Claus Rally) on thin trading. But this year’s short-sellers and panicked tax-loss sellers have made literal mincemeat out of the tradition.
That said, if you want to get in and out of stocks and bonds over the next few days, you’ll need to know when you can do it. Here’s a condensed list of rules, primarily pertaining to U.S. markets:
Thursday, December 24, 2015—Christmas Eve
- U.S. equity, option, and corporate bonds listed on an exchange will close for trading today at 1 p.m. EST.
- Fixed income trading (bonds, similar instruments) will close at 2 p.m.
- After hours trading today will take place from 1:15 – 5 p.m. EST.
- Canadian markets will close early at 1 p.m. EST.
Friday, December 25, 2015—Christmas Day
- U.S. markets and banks are closed for this Federal holiday.
- Canadian markets are closed.
Monday, December 28, 2015
- U.S. markets are open.
- Canadian markets are closed in observance of Boxing Day.
- Dually listed Canadian stocks will trade in the U.S. markets on Monday, December 28, 2015.
Thursday, December 31, 2015—New Year’s Eve
- Pre-market trading will take place at its standard time, 8 – 9:25 a.m. EST.
- U.S. equity, option, and corporate bonds listed on an exchange will all trade on a normal schedule.
- All other U.S. fixed income markets will close early at 2 p.m. EST.
- After-hours trading will take place at its standard time, 4:15 – 8 p.m. EST.
- Canadian markets are open as usual.
Friday, January 1, 2016—New Year’s Day
- All U.S. markets are closed in observance of this Federal and bank holiday.
- Canadian markets are closed.
Settlement dates for equity orders:
|Trade Date||Settlement Date|
|Tuesday, December 22, 2015||Monday, December 28, 2015|
|Wednesday, December 23, 2015||Tuesday, December 29, 2015|
|Thursday, December 24, 2015||Wednesday, December 30, 2015|
|Monday, December 28, 2015||Thursday, December 31, 2015|
|Tuesday, December 29, 2015||Monday, January 4, 2016|
|Wednesday, December 30, 2015||Tuesday, January 5, 2016|
|Thursday, December 31, 2015||Wednesday, January 6, 2016|
Note: If you’re moving money as a result of available balances or settlement dates, cut-off times may vary for these transactions. Check in advance with your broker or financial adviser.
Delayed Pricing Data: due to heavy year-end processing, some market data at some brokerages may temporarily display previous business day pricing information such as in positions, balances, and so forth. As year-end data processing is completed, this situation will generally resolve quickly.
* Header photo via Wikipedia. The copyright holder of this file, Douglas Rahden, allows anyone to use it for any purpose, provided that the copyright holder is properly attributed. Redistribution, derivative work, commercial use, and all other use is permitted. ©Douglas Rahden.Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 Communities Digital News
• The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the editors or management of Communities Digital News.
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities Digital News, LLC. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.
Correspondingly, Communities Digital News, LLC uses its best efforts to operate in accordance with the Fair Use Doctrine under US Copyright Law and always tries to provide proper attribution. If you have reason to believe that any written material or image has been innocently infringed, please bring it to the immediate attention of CDN via the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Contact page so that it can be resolved expeditiously.