Washington, November 30th, 2014- The Washington-based Hands Up Coalition DC has called for an emergency ongoing action at the Department of Justice citing this past Monday’s Grand Jury exoneration of Police Officer Darren Wilson for his August 9, 2014 shooting and killing of unarmed black teenager, Michael Brown.
“We cannot let this injustice stand,” said Coalition spokesperson, Dr. Marsha Coleman-Adebayo. “Darren Wilson’s own Grand Jury testimony is replete with racially biased hate speech including referring to Michael Brown as a ‘demon,’ ‘grunting,’ ‘crazy’ and ‘Hulk Hogan.'”
Dr. Coleman- Adebayo won a Title VII civil rights complaint in 2000 against the EPA. “I was awarded a historic judgment because senior federal officials used hate speech against me. Officer Wilson’s racist characterizations of Michael Brown rise to that same level- except that Wilson also used a gun. If the predominantly white Grand Jury in Ferguson is bias-blinded, the DOJ must find that Darren Wilson violated Michael Brown’s civil rights.”
The Hands Up Coalition DC will peacefully assemble beginning on December 1, 2014 at the Justice Department, 950 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, to demand:
1) The demilitarization of local law enforcement across the country. -Strict limits on the transfer and use of military equipment to local law enforcement and the adoption of the Stop Militarizing Law Enforcement Act of 2014. The federal government should discontinue the supply of military weaponry and equipment to and immediately demilitarize local law enforcement, including eliminating the use of military technology and equipment.
2) A comprehensive review of systemic abuses by local police departments, including publication of data on racially biased policing and the development of best practices.
3) Repurposing of law enforcement funds to support community based alternatives to incarceration and the conditioning of DOJ funding on the ending of discriminatory policing and the adoption of DOJ Best Practices.
4) Congressional hearings to investigating the criminalization of communities of color, racial profiling, police abuses and torture by law enforcement.
5) Support the passage of the End Racial Profiling Act (ERPA) codifying the prohibition of the use of profiling on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin or religion by law enforcement agencies.
6) The Obama Administration develops, legislates and enacts a National Plan of Action for Racial Justice.
The ‘Plan’ should be a comprehensive in addressing persistent and ongoing forms of racial discrimination and disparities that exist in nearly every sphere of life, including: criminal justice, employment, housing, education, health, land/property, voting, poverty and immigration. The Plan would set concrete targets for achieving racial equality and reducing racial disparities and create new tools for holding government accountable to meeting targets.
When: Monday, December 1st 2014, 4 pm.
Where: Department of Justice 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20530-0001
For more information, text “HANDSUP” to 90975. This will enroll people in a nationwide database to be engaged in future demonstrations.
Source: No Fear Coalition
Adam Omkara is a Mind/Body Health and Spiritual luminary who has worked as a consultant and coach to some of the most influential people in the country, including: High Level Politicians– Hollywood Stars- Billboard Musicians- High Profile CEO’s- Award Winning Scientists- Professional Athletes- Sport Team Owners- and a Former Miss Olympia.