MIAMI, March 15, 2018. – A bridge crossing that stretched across a street near Florida International University collapsed on Thursday. Official reports say six are confirmed dead and ten others have been taken to local hospitals, because of injuries sustained from the pedestrian bridge collapse. The first identified victim is Alexa Duran, an 18-year-old freshman political science major at Florida International University.
Eight vehicles were crushed by the pedestrian bridge collapse.
Local officials are not releasing the names of those injured or deceased. One witness heard screams coming from a car under the concrete. Investigators still do not have an exact number of victims.
Miami-Dade Police Director Juan Perez held a press conference and said that the main focus right now is the recovery of those killed. As soon as that is complete, the department’s homicide bureau will take over the investigation.
— Bianca Hanlon(Perez) (@ThisIsBiancaP) March 15, 2018
The pedestrian bridge was to be a safe alternative for FIU students
The 950-ton bridge was built to give FIU students a route across 8th street in downtown Miami. Just this past weekend, the bridge was officially opened to the public.
At the ceremony, FIU President Mark Rosenberg said
“FIU is about building bridges and student safety. This project accomplishes our mission beautifully.
University faculty and students had been requesting this bridge for a while now. The construction management firm that is responsible for the bridge is MCM with assistance from FIGG Bridge Design.
— Kelly Blanco (@KellyNBC6) March 15, 2018
Lianet Sado was a witness near the site of the Miami pedestrian bridge collapse
Speaking to FOX News, Ms. Sado says:
“There was a car that was completely crushed on the front part, so it was very safe to assume, unfortunately, that the driver and co-pilot were both crushed completely,” Sado said. “But then there was this young boy in the back of the car, full of blood, and basically begging for someone to help him. And that’s something I’m not going to be able to get out of my head because I’m a mother of a kid, too.”
The NTSB announced that they are heading to Miami to conduct a thorough investigation into the deadly bridge collapse. NTSB Chairman Robert Sumwalt held a press conference in which he said “there’s a lot we don’t know, but there’s a lot we intend to find out.”