Leathers & Weiner: Nothing spices up politics like a good sex scandal.
ELYRIA, OHIO, July 25, 2015 — Summer is the political silly season, but some things are entertaining any day of the year. Nothing spices up politics like a good sex scandal. Unlike complicated financial transactions, sex scandals are easy to understand and often amusing for those not at its center.
Former New York Democrat Congressman Anthony Weiner lost his safe congressional seat after he was caught sending sexually suggestive texts to various women. One of those young women was Sydney Elaine Leathers, a liberal activist. When Weiner tried to make a comeback, Leathers helped derail his 2013 New York City mayoral bid. The married Weiner was still sexting other women. He just took a job at a public relations crisis management firm.
In 2015, Indiana Democrat State Rep. Justin Moed was also caught sending illicit texts to Leathers.
While most people associate Leathers with sex, she has strong political opinions. She is a three-dimensional human being, not a cardboard cutout. She is smart, sarcastic and willing to live her life on her terms. Whatever total strangers may think of her, she has received vicious pieces of hate mail. In the big scheme of things, she has broken no laws. Any hatred directed at her is disproportionate for a woman who did nothing more than engage in consensual behavior with men determined to behave that way.
With that, here is my interview with Sydney Elaine Leathers.
1. What is the Sydney Leathers story?
Politically obsessed liberal chick from Indiana starts sexting a perpetually horny former congressman. The Internet blows up. Now I’ve moved on to porn and college, haha.
2. Do you belong to any organized religion? Has religion in any shaped the person you are today?
I’m not religious. I was raised Episcopal and went to a private Christian school but I am now agnostic.
3. What first got you into politics?
My dad was always very conservative and vocal about his political views. When I was about 15 I decided I wanted to know where exactly I stood. I immersed myself in all things political and discovered I’m left of center on most issues and I really, really enjoy political satire more than just about anything.
4. Do you care passionately about any economic or foreign policy issues, or only social issues?
Anyone with half a brain cares about the economy. I’m more vocal about social issues because those issues are the ones where average citizens can actually make a difference.
5. As a proud bisexual, which three 2016 presidential contenders of any party would you most like to sleep with, and why?
Carly Fiorina (she’s prettier than Hillary), Rand Paul (he’s under 120 unlike the other GOP men) and Rick Perry (only with glasses and if he’s mostly silent).
6. You contributed to two liberal Democrats’ losing their jobs. Do you receive most of your hate mail from liberal Democrats, conservative Republicans or apolitical people? Who sends more vicious hate mail, men or women?
Not true. Justin Moed is still a state representative. I get the most vicious hate mail from men. More conservative leaning men, I think. And “Christian” men too.
7. Given how many people compliment your physical beauty, have you thought of transitioning from pornography into a career the masses hold in higher esteem, such as modeling or television?
I find the wording of this question to be quite offensive, honestly. Frankly, I don’t give a (blank) what the masses hold in high esteem. I love doing porn. Will I move on to other things? Yes, because I am a human who likes to experience many different things. I go to school for TV production. I want to be BEHIND the camera. I don’t want everyone to just think about what I look like. I am more than that.
8. Who are your three political heroes of all time?
Teddy Roosevelt, FDR and Teddy Kennedy.
9. Who are your three non-political heroes of all time?
My dad, my cousin Kelli who is like a sister to me, and myself because I am so resilient.
10. What advice do you have for young female interns working for powerful male politicians?
Don’t sext and tell!
11. Regarding America’s hyper-sexualized culture, where do you draw the line in terms of what is harmless and what is destructive?
I don’t think it’s my place to draw the line.
12. Have your experiences with two specific male politicians caused you to lose faith in men in general or politicians in general, or do you believe most people are good?
I didn’t have faith in men prior to the political scandals.
13. How would you like to be remembered 100 years from now? What would you want people to say about Sydney Leathers the person?
I don’t want to try to control how people remember me. I am a complicated person. I am full of contradictions, but that’s the beauty of it: I know it. I’m in on the joke. I’m a lot smarter than most give me credit for.Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 Communities Digital News
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities Digital News, LLC. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.
Correspondingly, Communities Digital News, LLC uses its best efforts to operate in accordance with the Fair Use Doctrine under US Copyright Law and always tries to provide proper attribution. If you have reason to believe that any written material or image has been innocently infringed, please bring it to the immediate attention of CDN via the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Contact page so that it can be resolved expeditiously.