PBS will be showing the Rock Hill documentary on the Friendship 9 and the struggle for voting rights throughout 2015. Check your local listings.
1. The Friendship 9, was actually 10. One posted bail in order to not lose his scholarship to Friendship College. The ninth person was an adviser for the college and all became known as Friendship Nine.
2. The Friendship Nine said they had no hard feelings toward Charles Taylor, the one who posted bail, and they don’t have hard feelings toward him now.
4. The judge preceding in overturn case is the nephew of the judge who originally convicted them.
5. The defense attorney who represented the nine in 1961 represented them in the verdict overturn.
6. Eyewitness News anchor Eric Philips’ parents knew one of the nine, David Williamson. He lived in Morristown, New Jersey, which is where Philips grew up.
7. The group was originally known as the Rock Hill 9. They became known as the Friendship 9 because they attended Friendship College, which no longer exists.
8. The names of all of the men who sat at the lunch counter at McCrory’s are now engraved on the stools in the restaurant.
9. The woman who pushed for the men to be exonerated is author Kimberly Johnson, who wrote a children’s book and a musical about the men entitled “No Fear For Freedom.”Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 Communities Digital News
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities Digital News, LLC. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.
Correspondingly, Communities Digital News, LLC uses its best efforts to operate in accordance with the Fair Use Doctrine under US Copyright Law and always tries to provide proper attribution. If you have reason to believe that any written material or image has been innocently infringed, please bring it to the immediate attention of CDN via the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Contact page so that it can be resolved expeditiously.