The salmon is poached with white beans for a light-tasting dish that's high in fiber.
Salmon with White Beans and Watercress
Adapted from Prevention’s Health Guaranteed Cookbook
This recipe packs a wallop of nutritional benefits from the Omega-3 fatty acids in the salmon, the fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals in the beans as well as the fiber, vitamins and minerals in the watercress and parsley.
Serves: 4 | Prep: 15 min |Cook: 12 min |Total: 30 min
4 salmon fillets (4 ounces each)
Sea salt, to taste
Finely ground white pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons water
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
4 plum tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup low fat, reduced-sodium, chicken broth
1 bunch watercress, rinsed and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1. Coat a broiler pan with no-stick spray. Preheat the broiler.
2. Season the salmon fillets with the salt and pepper; place on a broiler pan. Broil 4″ from the heat for 3 minutes per side, or until just opaque in the center when tested with a sharp knife.
3. Place the water in a large no-stick skillet. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
4. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute.
5. Add the beans, tomatoes, and broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until heated through.
6. Add the watercress and parsley and cook for 30 seconds, or until the watercress begins to wilt.
7. Season with the salt and pepper and serve with the salmon.
Recipe Notes: Watercress is a delicate, leafy green that’s actually a member of the cruciferous family of vegetables. It has a sharp mustard-like flavor that complements the mild white beans and tomatoes in this dish. If watercress is unavailable, try substituting arugula, which has a pungent, peppery bite.Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 Communities Digital News
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities Digital News, LLC. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.
Correspondingly, Communities Digital News, LLC uses its best efforts to operate in accordance with the Fair Use Doctrine under US Copyright Law and always tries to provide proper attribution. If you have reason to believe that any written material or image has been innocently infringed, please bring it to the immediate attention of CDN via the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Contact page so that it can be resolved expeditiously.