Examining the night Hannah Graham disappeared; $100,000 reward offered

Examining the night Hannah Graham disappeared; $100,000 reward offered

by -
28 2894
The walk Hannah Graham took

WASHINGTON, September 27, 2014 — What we know is that on that Friday evening, Hannah Graham, like many other college students, spent the beginning of her weekend at local parties.

grand marc

The first party was at the Grand Marc Apartments, an off campus complex where many UVA students live.

Camden Plaza Apartments
Camden Plaza Apartments

Hannah walked to the end of the Grand Marc Apartment complex turning left onto Sadler St where at the corner of Sadler and 14th St she went into the Camden Plaza Apartments for the second party of the night.

The walk was only .1 mile and would have taken only about 3 minutes. The walk would be along a streetlight lit sidewalk and past additional apartments.

McGrady's Pub
McGrady’s Pub

The last time Hannah’s friends see her is at 11:50 pm when she leaves the Camden Plaza Apartments. Some people at the party thought she was heading home while others thought she was going to another party. By this time most people at the party, including Hannah had been drinking for hours and were intoxicated.

Hannah would have left the party and passed the street where she had been attending the first party almost immediately, instead continuing down 14th street.

Fourteenth Street is a well lit residential street which lies just outside of UVA.

This is where the first mystery of Hannah’s evening happens.

No one has reported seeing Hannah until 12:45 am Saturday morning when she is picked up by the security video at McGrady’s Pub.

READ ALSO: Update: Hannah Graham: Five missing in Charlottesville in five years

It would be most logical to assume that she walked down 14th street until the light at Grady Ave. arriving at McGrady’s Pub, but there are multiple problems with this assumption.

First, that walk is .7 mile taking about 15 minutes but it took Hannah almost an hour to arrive at the Pub.

Secondly, she would have been walking down Grady Ave. and arriving at the Irish pub from the West heading East but the video shows her come from the East.

Graham seems to walk past the outdoor patio of the Pub into the parking lot next door but then after almost a minute and a half comes back to the bar and walks up the ramp to the outdoor patio and then exits down the ramp on the other side and proceeds to walk back down the sidewalk in the direction that she had originally come from.

Shell gas station
Shell gas station

At 12:55 am, Hannah is caught on a camera mounted at a Shell gas station on the 600 block of Preston Ave.

Graham is seen on the sidewalk on the side of the street across from the gas station. This puts her across two two-lane streets.

Hannah is clearly seen jogging although no one else ever comes into view chasing her.

The time that it took her to get to this location makes it clear that she walked directly down Preston Ave. from McGrady’s.

Although it is only speculation, it is possible that she was jogging because right before Shell station, the sidewalk passes through an unpopulated industrial area culminating in passing under an overpass. In the middle of the night, this area could make a pedestrian uncomfortable.

Five minutes after the Shell station, Graham arrived at the well lit and populated downtown walking mall. This area is lined with shops and restaurants.

A witness came forward and reported seeing Graham walk down 2nd Street past Fellini’s Restaurant onto the Mall.

At 1:06 am on the downtown mall, Hannah Graham is seen walking past Sal’s Caffe Italia and again past Tuel Jewelers at 1:08 am.

There are other people walking along the area and there is a white male who appears to follow Graham briefly. This male came forward to the police and reported that he had followed her because he had feared for her safety. He claimed that he had followed her until she ran into a heavy set black male who put his arm around her and they seemed to know each other.

It was reported that he described this male as having a close shaved head and a goatee.

Twenty seconds before Graham is seen walking east in front of Sal’s, the man now known as Jesse Matthew is seen walking west.

Somewhere along this pedestrian mall, Hannah Graham’s thoughts and whereabouts become almost impossible to decipher.

At 1:20 am, a text message is sent from Hannah’s phone to her friend’s telling them that she got lost going to a party. The message says that she is near her apartment around 14th and Wertland Streets. It does not seem like she was anywhere near this location when this message was sent. No one knows if Graham is the person who actually sent this message or not and if she was, why would she have provided such misleading information.

Between 1:30 and 2 am Hannah Graham was seen with Jesse Matthew. There are differing reports on if Hannah actually entered the Tempo Restaurant or not although the reports that she never did is coming from the owner of the restaurant who may not want to explain what an underage student was doing in his bar.

Matthew claims to have purchased two beers, one for himself and one for Graham, which is supported by a receipt, and then left in his car alone.

The bar owner told the Associated Press that Graham was barely unable to walk by herself and that the two walked off together with Matthew’s arm around her for support.

Was Hannah intoxicated from the parties she had been attending or was there something put in the beer that she received from Matthew? She had managed to walk 2 miles to the Tempo Restaurant on her own with video evidence showing her stable on her feet.

Also, the jewelry store is located only 2 minutes from the Tempo Restaurant yet it took her almost 30 minutes before she showed up there with Matthew unable to stand unsupported.

Matthew is back in Charlottesville after having walked into the police station, telling them that he left the downtown mall alone and that he wanted a lawyer before leaving the station.

He apparently drove to Galveston, Texas and slept for at least two nights on the beach before being reported as suspicious and his license plates revealed him to be wanted.

Matthew will have a bond hearing on October 2, 2014. Until then, he is being held without bond.

The family of Hannah Graham is hoping Jesse Matthew reveals information that will help them find her because at this time, the police chief has revealed that they have absolutely “no clue” where Hannah is right now. Authorities are offering a $100,000 reward for information leading to the safe return of Graham.

If you have information, contact the Charlottesville police at 434-970-3280. Police are asking anyone with property near the area to please search for anything that might offer a clue into Hannah Graham’s disappearance.



Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2014 Communities Digital News

This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities Digital News, LLC. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.

Correspondingly, Communities Digital News, LLC uses its best efforts to operate in accordance with the Fair Use Doctrine under US Copyright Law and always tries to provide proper attribution. If you have reason to believe that any written material or image has been innocently infringed, please bring it to the immediate attention of CDN via the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Contact page so that it can be resolved expeditiously.