Add some freshly whipped cream to luscious red and blue fruits for a patriotic, and healthy, addition to your Fourth of July BBQ
SAN DIEGO, June 30, 2015 — Celebrating Fourth of July is one of America’s most cherished traditions.
While paying tribute to the signing of the Declaration of Independence by our Founding Fathers on July 4, 1776, those who declared freedom from English oppression to establish the United States of America, family and friends will gather together in celebration with barbecues, parties, picnics and other forms of revelry.
For the busy hostess or host, it can be challenging to find time to prepare crowd-pleasing fare which also encourages good health.
The predominant ingredients in these recipes are seasonal fruits such as blueberries, strawberries and watermelon, which contain antioxidants with anticancer and anti-inflammatory properties.
Red, White and Blueberry Skewers, from www.makeandtakes.com, make a delightful and colorful appetizer or snack.
- Fresh strawberries, cut into fourths
- Place freshly washed fruit and mini-marshmallows each in individual small bowls.
- Using 10-inch wooden skewers, place a blueberry, strawberry and mini-marshmallow onto a wooden skewer-alternating placement until the skewer is completely full. Alternatively, fun and unique patterns add interest.
- Serve them on a platter shortly after they are assembled.
Red, White and Blue Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries from www.snappygourmet.com, are absolutely delicious, and may be prepared in advance shortly before they are enjoyed.
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese (low-fat) softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto (or 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract)
- 12 large fresh strawberries, cut in half with stems intact
- 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
- 72 small fresh blueberries
- In a small bowl, mix together softened cream cheese, sugar substitute and Amaretto
- Spoon filling into a small Ziploc bag; seal bag and cut off one corner of it. Pipe filling on top of each strawberry half.
- Sprinkle almonds on top of each strawberry filling. Top each strawberry half with 3 small blueberries.
- Store in refrigerator until served, it is best to eat within a few hours of making them.
Watermelon Salad-Red, White and Blue…and Green from www.willcookforfriends.com, is a delightfully fresh salad which is suitable for a variety of meals.
- 2 lbs. fresh watermelon, cut into cubes (1/2-1 inch)
- 1 cup jicama, cut into cubes (1/4-1/2 inch)
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, and cut into cubes (1/4-1/2 inch)
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 handful fresh basil, chopped (up to 1/4 cup to taste)
- 1 small handful fresh mint, chopped (up to 1/8th cup, to taste)
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until well-chilled.
Enjoy the fragrance and taste of nature’s healthful bounty replete with bold red, white and blue colors, while paying tribute to our country’s magnificent Old Glory this Fourth of July and to the millions of men and women who have fought and died to protect her.
Until next time, enjoy the ride in good health!
Laurie Edwards-Tate, MS, is a health care provider of over 30 years. As a featured “Communities Digital News” columnist, LifeCycles with Laurie Edwards-Tate emphasizes healthy aging and maintaining independence, while delighting and informing its readers. Laurie is a recognized expert in home and community-based, long-term care services, and is also an educator.
In addition to writing for “Communities Digital News,” Laurie is the President and CEO of her firm, At Your Home Familycare, which serves persons of all ages who are disabled and infirm with a variety of non-medical, in-home care and concierge services.
Copyright © 2015 by At Your Home FamilycareClick here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 Communities Digital News
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities Digital News, LLC. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.
Correspondingly, Communities Digital News, LLC uses its best efforts to operate in accordance with the Fair Use Doctrine under US Copyright Law and always tries to provide proper attribution. If you have reason to believe that any written material or image has been innocently infringed, please bring it to the immediate attention of CDN via the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Contact page so that it can be resolved expeditiously.