WASHINGTON, September 10, 2014 – We recently chanced upon some scurrilous words of wisdom from something called “Food For Thought,” an essay purportedly authored by one Junius P. Long. It lists the ways a casual observer can tell if he or she is living in a country run by idiots.
A moderately thorough web search doesn’t reveal one iota of useful information about just who this Junius P. Long actually is, though countless sites have been reprinting “Food For Thought” recently. (We’ll continue our own bibliographical sleuthing offline or in the library and invite commentators to weigh in with any clues in the meantime.)
Whoever Junius is, his amusing musings on the current U.S. State of Disunion, based on recent historical trends, are spot on. So we’re reproducing them here in an interesting month when the Fall TV season competes with coverage of 2014’s midterm elections. On the face of it, they seem to be one and the same.
Clues we live in a country run by idiots:
1. If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally, you live in a country run by idiots.
2. If you have to show identification to board an airplane, cash a check, buy liquor or check out a library book, but not to vote on who runs the government, you live in a country run by idiots.
3. If a seven year old boy can be thrown out of grade school for saying his teacher’s “cute,” but hosting a sexual exploration or diversity class in grade school is perfectly acceptable, you live in a country run by idiots.
4. If you have to get your parents’ permission to go on a field trip or take an aspirin in school, but not to get an abortion, you live in a country run by idiots.
5. If an 80-year-old woman can be stripped searched by the TSA but a woman in a hijab is only subject to having her neck and head searched, you live in a country run by idiots.
6. If your government believes that the best way to eradicate trillions of dollars of debt is to spend trillions more, you live in a country run by idiots.
7. If hard work and success are met with higher taxes and more government intrusion, while not working is rewarded with EBT cards, WIC checks, Medicaid, subsidized housing and free cell phones, you live in a country run by idiots.
8. If the government’s plan for getting people back to work is to incentivize NOT working, with 99 weeks of unemployment checks and no requirement to prove they applied but can’t find work, you live in a country run by idiots.
9. If the government wants to ban stable, law-abiding citizens from owning gun magazines with more than ten rounds, but gives 20 F-16 fighter jets to the crazy leaders in Egypt, you live in a country run by idiots.
10. If being stripped of the ability to defend yourself makes you more “safe” according to the government, you live in a country run by idiots.
Given that the powers of reason finally prevailed in the Big Apple when courts invalidated former Mayor Nanny Bloomberg’s idiotic anti-soft drink edict, we edited the entry that referenced that PC nonsense out of “Junius Long’s” list. But for the sake of history, here it is:
If, in the largest city, you can buy two 16-ounce sodas, but not a 24-ounce soda because 24-ounces of a sugary drink might make you fat, you live in a country run by idiots.
‘Nuff said.Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2014 Communities Digital News
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities Digital News, LLC. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.
Correspondingly, Communities Digital News, LLC uses its best efforts to operate in accordance with the Fair Use Doctrine under US Copyright Law and always tries to provide proper attribution. If you have reason to believe that any written material or image has been innocently infringed, please bring it to the immediate attention of CDN via the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Contact page so that it can be resolved expeditiously.