LOS ANGELES, May 12, 2014 — The Offspring is a funny little band. When they started they were a straight forward punk band. The Offspring was one of the early Epitaph Records bands that helped shape the punk rock landscape in the early 90s. Then something funny happened, or not so funny depending on who you ask.
In 1994, The Offspring released their much anticipated third album, Smash, on Epitaph. Their first single from the record, Come Out and Play, went bananas and put The Offspring on the national radar, while simultaneously alienating their punk fans. While many punk fans turned their backs on The Offspring after the release of Smash, the band continued on with a new audience comprised of fans from the mainstream music radio stations and Mtv, way back when Mtv still played videos.
What many of the punk fans who have turned their backs on The Offspring do not realize is that the band still writes, records and releases some very good punk songs that are on par with The “Old” Offspring. You just have to sift through the goofy, gimmicky songs. Here is a list of the best punk songs from The Offspring’s post-Ignition albums.
24. Dividing By Zero – Days Go On
23. The End of the Line – Americana
22. Dammit, I Changed Again – Conspiracy of One
21. Hurting As One – Days Go On
20. Mota – Ixnay on the Hombre
19. Conspiracy of One – Conspiracy of One
18. Genocide – Smash
17. Hammerhead – Rise and Fall From Grace
16. Long Way Home – Splinter
15. No Brakes – Americana
14. Cool to Hate – Ixnay on the Hombre
13. Have You Ever – Americana
12. Million Miles Away – Conspiracy of One
11. You’re Gonna Go Far, Kid – Rise and Fall From Grace
10. So Alone – Smash
9. Come Out Swinging – Conspiracy of One
8. The Kids Aren’t Alright – Americana
7. The Noose – Splinter
6. All Along – Conspiracy of One
5. Da Hui – Splinter
4. All I Want – Ixnay on the Hombre
3. The Meaning of Life – Ixnay on the Hombre
2. It’ll Be A Long Time – Smash
1. Nitro – Smash
Kevin J. Wells is the Sports Editor for Communities Digital News. He also writes about Major League Baseball, punk rock music and food. Kevin plays guitar in the Los Angeles punk band Emmer Effer. Follow him on Twitter @WellsOnBaseballClick here for reuse options!
Copyright 2014 Communities Digital News
This article is the copyrighted property of the writer and Communities Digital News, LLC. Written permission must be obtained before reprint in online or print media. REPRINTING CONTENT WITHOUT PERMISSION AND/OR PAYMENT IS THEFT AND PUNISHABLE BY LAW.
Correspondingly, Communities Digital News, LLC uses its best efforts to operate in accordance with the Fair Use Doctrine under US Copyright Law and always tries to provide proper attribution. If you have reason to believe that any written material or image has been innocently infringed, please bring it to the immediate attention of CDN via the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Contact page so that it can be resolved expeditiously.